This article may contain affiliate links. For details, visit our Affiliate Disclosure page.
When you think about cars, BMW is indeed one of the most famous brands that come to your mind. BMW has always manufactured beautiful and outstanding cars that are not only amazing in performance but also have innovative technology involved in their manufacture. BMW models are rated average or slightly above average by car magazines and experts when it comes to reliability.
Since BMWs cars are reliable and great in quality, they require a lot of care too. Apart from tuning and maintenance, the most important care is of its engine, which requires the oil change. These vehicles have so many moving parts that come in contact with each other and create friction. To make them work smoothly, oil is required to lubricate them so they can function properly. Oil needs changing after running for some time because they burn off due to over-heating and can damage the engine.
There are many different kinds of oil in the market. Oil for older engines and newer engines are different due to the condition of the engine. The newer engines work the best with high-performance oil as the engine is not damaged and is free from sludge and seal leaking. They protect the engine from wear and gives a smooth ride. In contrast, the oils for older engines are designed especially with additives and detergents so they can seal the leakages and remove the sludge of older oil. They repair the worn-out engine.
Since there are millions of different oils in the market by different brands, how will you know which oil is suitable for your BMW 328i? In this article, we’ll look at some of the best oils for BMW 328i that offer great performance on a low budget. We’ll discuss their features and specs, and some FAQs at the end will guide you further!
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Picks: Oil for BMW 328i
7. Liquid Moly 20232 Molygen New Generation 5W40 Motor Oil
This oil was specifically designed to replace the BMW Long Life-01 Oil. This motor oil is suitable for high mileage engines. This low viscosity oil is formulated with additives to protect the engine from wear and tear. It protects the engine from friction by lubricating its internal components.
This motor oil also performs amazingly in both high and low temperatures and offers you great stability and reliability. The main purpose of this oil is to clean and remove all the leftover sludge completely and seal the leakages with its special ingredients. It increases the fuel mileage along with providing protection, hence making your engine newer and more durable.
• Long intervals between oil change
• Designed specifically to replace BMW Long Life-01
• Works well in both high and low temperature
• Works best for older engines
• Low viscosity
• Great performance at both high and low temperature
• Great wear and friction protection
• Low burn off
• Cleans sludge perfectly
• Low cost
• Doesn’t boost the performance of the engine better than others
6. Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance High Mileage Motor Oil
This motor oil is designed specifically for high mileage engines that have run up to 75,000 miles. The full synthetic motor oil meets the standards of ILSAC GF-6 and provides the LSPI (low-speed pre-ignition).
This oil is formulated and manufactured to clean all the deposited build-up from the engine and boost its performance. It also seals the leakages and prevents the engine from burn-offs and potential leaking. It works well in both high and low temperatures. Its advanced synthetic formula controls the oil breakdown and helps you go up to 20,000 miles in between oil changes, and also improves fuel economy.
This high mileage motor oil not only protects the engine from friction and wear but also boosts its performance, making it more reliable and stable.
• Full synthetic motor oil
• Specifically designed for engines over 75,000 miles
• Provide LSPI
• Extends life of the engine
• Ideal for high mileage engine
• Cleans deposited sludge
• Boost engine’s performance
• Seal leakages and gaskets
• Protect the engine from friction and wear perfectly
• Makes the engine more reliable and stable
• Prevent burn-offs
• Improve fuel economy
• The performance in both high and low temperatures could be better
• No good for newer engines
5. Castrol 03101 EDGE 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil
The amazing motor oil by Castrol is a blend of synthetic and conventional motor oils. The viscosity rate of this oil is 0W-40, which indicates that this oil can give high performance in both high and low temperatures.
This high-performance engine oil is ideal for low mileage or newer engines. It gives excellent wear protection. It is 42% better than other engine oils in cleaning and removing the build-ups or deposits of previous motor oils. The Castrol synthetic motor oil is designed specifically to boost the engine to maximum power and speed. It also protects the engine from further deposition and formation of sludge while also maximizing fuel efficiency.
• Blend of synthetic and conventional motor oil
• Viscosity rate is 0W-40
• High performance at both high and low temperatures
• Amazing protection from wear and friction
• Great performance at all temperatures
• Excellent protection from deposition or sludge
• Cleans sludge
• Great fuel efficiency
• Boost the engine to maximum power and speed
• Ideal for new or low mileage engines
• Makes the engine more flexible and stable
• Not suitable for high mileage or older engines
• Burn off rate could be better
4. AMSOIL AZOQT-EA Signature Series SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
The great synthetic oil by AMSOIL is ideal for high mileage engines and works the best on BMW 328i. It offers great performance for high mileage engines but not the highest mileages. This synthetic motor oil gives long draining intervals between oil changes for up to 25,000 miles which is ideal for older engines.
It gives amazing protection from wear and friction. The engine oil also cleans deposits and protects the engine from further build-ups. It works well at both temperatures and also boosts the performance of the engine. It is indeed one of the best synthetic oil of its kind as it not only reduces oil consumption and emissions but also maximizes fuel economy.
• Light viscosity formulation
• Premiere synthetic technology and additives
• Extended drain intervals for up to 25,000 miles
• Great performance
• Great protection from wear and friction
• Excellent cleaning of sludge and deposits or previous oil build-ups
• Reduces oil emission and exhaustion perfectly
• Boost the engine performance
• Outstanding performance for high mileage engines
• Extended drain intervals
• Maximizes fuel economy
• Works well for all temperatures
• Not suitable for newer or low mileage engines
• Doesn’t work well in high temperatures
3. Pento 5W-30 High Performance Motor Oil
This great high-performance oil by Pento is specifically designed in Germany for the 5W-30 engines. It is ideal for cars of Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and VW. The main purpose of this oil is to boost the performance of the engine to maximum power and speed, providing high performance to your engine.
It provides amazing protection from wear and friction by lubricating the internal components of the engine. It also cleans the sludge and makes sure that the engine doesn’t face any further deposition. This motor oil maximizes fuel efficiency by greatly reducing oil consumption and oil burn-offs. It is indeed one of its kind and extremely suitable for your BMW 328i.
• Specifically designed for 5W-30 engines
• Ideal for Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW
• Synthetic motor Oil with additives
• Comes with an oil filter
• High-performance motor oil
• Boost the performance of the engine to maximum power and speed
• Excellent wear and friction performance
• Cleans the sludge and depositions perfectly
• Greatly maximizes the fuel efficiency
• Reduces the oil consumption and burn-offs
• Works well in both temperatures
• Makes the engine perform with great speed smoothly
• Doesn’t work well at extremely high or low temperatures
• Reduction of oil consumption could be better
2. Royal Purple HMX SAE 5W-30 High Mileage Synthetic Motor Oil
The amazing high mileage synthetic oil by Royal Purple is formulated with zinc/phosphorous anti-wear additives that are ideal for high mileage engines. This synthetic motor oil provides increased protection against LSPI and is the best for BMW’s turbo engines.
It revitalizes and restores old engines which have covered high mileages of about 75,000 miles or more. It perfectly removes all the deposits and build-ups of previous oil and seals the gaskets, preventing any leakage. It provides a boost to the engine and increases its performance. It also protects the engine from harsh wear and friction, making the engine looking new. This motor oil just revives the engine, giving it stable functionality. It’s really one of the best High mileage motor oil for your BMW 328i.
• Formulated with zinc/phosphorous
• Increases LSPI
• Ideal for high mileage engines
• Works best for older engines
• Revitalizes older engines
• Maximum wear and friction protection
• Seals all the gaskets and protecting the engine from possible leakages
• Removes and cleans all the deposits
• Boosts the engine’s performance
• Works well in all temperatures
• Long drain intervals
• Reduces oil consumption
• Maximizes fuel economy
• Doesn’t work well in extreme temperatures
1. Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil
The best of its kind, the Liqui Moly High tech oil for the 5W-40 engine was specifically designed to replace the original BMW Long Life-01 oil. This amazing engine oil is made to provide the engine the best performance and protection from all kinds of damages and deposition.
It cleans and removes all the deposits and build-ups perfectly from the engine and protects it from further deposition. Its amazing lubricating power forms a layer on all the internal components of the engine, which protects the engine from wear and friction. The main purpose of this motor oil is to maximize fuel economy and reduce oil consumption. It also reduces exhaustion, emission, and frequent burn-offs. It does well in both high and low temperatures and usually has a good cold start.
This oil is the best for your BMW 328i as it not only protects the engine but also makes extends the engine’s life making it more durable and stable by boosting its performance and functionality.
• Specifically designed a replacement of BMW Long Life-01 motor oil
• Ideal for 5W-40 engines
• Innovative formula with high tech additives
• Greatly reduces oil consumption and burn-offs
• Boosts the engine’s performance
• Extends the engine’s life
• Does well in both high and low temperature
• Excellently cleans the depositions and sludge
• Amazing protection from friction and wear
• Makes the engine durable
• Maximizes fuel economy
• Provides a smooth ride
• Long oil changing intervals
• The oil change intervals are not better or more than other motor oils
• Not great for high mileage engines which have run more than 75,000 miles
1. Are there any specific oils for older and newer engines?
Newer engines work well with a different type of oil as they are free from any damage and deposition as compared to the older engines. The motor oils that are specific for newer engines are the high-performance oils that lubricate the internal parts of the engine. These motor oils boost up the performance of the engine by protecting it from any wear and friction. It also prevents the engine from burn-offs and oil consumption while also protecting it from further deposition and build-ups of sludge. These motor oils extend the life of the engine and increase their efficiency excellently.
The motor oils for older engines are even formulated differently than other oils, known as high mileage motor oils. These oils are a combination of synthetic oils and petroleum oil, along with different additives and detergent seals. These oils are specifically designed to repair and revitalize the older engine and increase its performance. They protect the engine from wear and friction by providing a thick lubricating layer to the internal components of the engine. They clean and removes all the sludge deposits and build-ups. Their seal conditioning additives seal the gaskets and prevent them from any leakage. These motor oils work the best for engines that have covered over 75,000 miles. They boost their performance and revitalize them, making them new and more durable.
2. How frequently should I change my BMW328i’s engine oil?
If you want to run your car smoothly, the proper maintenance and regular changing of oil are extremely necessary. Your engine is what is running the car. Its internal components pull off lots of work. They create friction, and due to that, they are more prone to overheating, which as a result, can form sludge. Consequently, the engine might face extreme wear after completing over a thousand miles.
So to keep your engine safe and running smoothly, change your engine’s oil, in general, every 5,000-7,000 miles. But there are some factors that you should keep in mind while changing your BMW’s oil. First of all, it should be known how many miles and distance your BMW covers or usually covers. That is because cars that cover short distances only on a daily basis in a city might need an oil change more frequently than other cars. The car’s manual will also give you a detailed description of your car’s oil change intervals, so keep all these things in mind and change the oil at the right intervals and keep your car running smoothly for a long time.
3. What type of oil does the BMW 328i use?
The BMW 328i models are all different a bit in features or specifications in different years. That’s why different models from different years require a specific type of oil. Hence, you should be well aware of your BMW’s models to select the best oil for it.
• The 2008 BMW 328i model has a 3-liter 6-cylinder engine. The capacity of this engine is 6.9 US quarts. This model works the best with a high-performance synthetic oil. It also includes oil with 5W-30 and 5W-40 viscosity rate engine oils.
• The 2009 BMW 328i model also has a 3-liter 6-cylinder engine with an engine capacity of 6.9 US quarts. The most recommended oil for this model is BMW’s own Long Life-01 oil along with other oil with viscosity ratings, including SAE 5W-30, 5W-40, etc.
• The 2010 BMW 328i model once again has a 3-liter 6-cylinder engine with an engine capacity of 6.9 US quarts. It works the best with BMW’s Long Life-01 and also oils with viscosity ranges, including SAE 5W-30 and SAE 5W-40.
• The 2011 BMW 328i model has an automatic transmission 3-liter 6-cylinder engine, and its capacity is also 6.9 US quarts. Just like the previous models, it also works the best with BMW’s Long Life-01 and other alternative oils, including ones SAE 5W-30 and SAE 5W-40 viscosity ranges.
• The 2012 BMW 328i model has a 3-liter 6-cylinder engine with six manual transmissions and has an engine capacity of 6.1 US quarts. It works the best with BMW’s high-performance SAE 5W-30, BMW’s Long Life 0-1, and other oils with SAE 5W-30 and SAE 5W-40 viscosity ranges
• The 2013 BMW 328i has a 2-liter and 4-cylinder inline engine with an engine oil capacity of 6.1 US quarts. It offers great performance with BMW Long Life-01, BMW Long Life-01 FE, and other oils, including SAE 5W-30, SAE 5W-40, SAE OW-30, and SAE OW-40 viscosity ranges.
4. How should I pick the best oil for my BMW 328i?
There are lots of features that you should keep in mind before picking up the suitable oil for your BMW 328i, apart from the instructions in your car’s manual. First of all, you should know the viscosity ranges your engine can work on which must be written in your car’s manual. Then you should keep the year of your BMW 328i model so you can pick the suitable motor oil according to its engine and engine capacity.
And the most important thing that you should keep in mind is the situation of your engine and car. If your engine is new and has not done high miles, then go for high-performance oils as they work the best with a new engine. If your engine is old and has covered about 75,000 miles and more, you should go for the high mileage oils as they can revitalize and repair your damaged or prone to damage engine perfectly, giving you a smooth and comfortable drive.
BMW is one of the most well-known brands of cars. Their vehicles are manufactured with great technology and features. So they also require the best oils to run smoothly for a long time. You should pick the best oil for your BMW 328i according to its model year and engine’s condition. Choosing the best oil can be very hard, but as long as you know the engine’s specifications, condition, and viscosity range, you can easily choose the best motor oil for your car.
BMW cars should get a frequent oil change after every 3,000-5,000 miles so they can cover long miles without any problem. But you can also change the oil after 12 months or 10,000 miles, but it’s better to maintain your engine as early as possible, so your engine is not prone to much damage. That is because the engine is the main part that is running your car, and it is always in friction or work, so it obviously requires a lot of care to run for a long time.
To help you decide which oil is the best for your BMW 328i, we have compiled a list of some of the best motor oils for older and newer engines of different brands. We have discussed their features and specifications so you can decide on the best engine oil that suits your engine’s condition and your car’s model. We also have some FAQs at the end which will answer your queries further. We hope that our recommendations can help you choose the best engine oil for your BMW 328i without any problem!